Life is hard. Sometimes you need chocolate. This cake is a wonderful comfort for any trial or tribulation, or so it has been for me.
Tomorrow is my mother’s 5oth Birthday. She is such a special woman. Strong. Determined. Loving. Giving. I could really go on and on. Lately, life has been hard on her. I think this cake is in her near future.
Happy Birthday to the woman who has shaped me into who I am today. I am forever grateful for your wisdom and love. Here’s to you and here’s to dark chocolate. I love you, mom.
- 2½ Cups Flour
- ⅔ Cup Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2¼ t. Baking Soda
- ¾ t. Kosher Salt
- 1½ Cups Water
- 2 t. Vanilla
- 1½ Cups Maple Syrup
- ⅔ Cups Applesauce, unsweetened
- 2½ t. White Vinegar
- 4-6 T. Strongly Brewed Coffee
- 4-5 T. Dark Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 t. Coffee grounds
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 8 T. Vegan Butter, Melted
- 2 t. Vanilla
- ⅓ Cup Coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix water, vanilla, maple syrup, applesauce, vinegar, coffee until well combined.
- Gently mix wet and dry ingredients until well mixed. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour into two greased 9″ pans or one 9″x13″ pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tested with toothpick or knife and either come out clean.
- Let cool before icing.
- For the icing, mix cocoa, salt, coffee grounds, sugar.
- Mix in melted butter, vanilla, and coconut milk until well combined.
- Spread over cooled cake.