When life hands you lemons…you make lots of food with lemons! This weekend was filled with that citrusy, yellow fruit. Lemon pasta, lemon cookies, and this Sunday morning began with these lemon poppyseed scones.
Scones are such a perfect food. They can be breakfast. They can be dessert. They can be sweet. They can be savory. They are just perfect.
The lemon is really a hope for summer. Hey, on a blustery, nine degree January morning, what do you expect?! I am thankful to be on the inside looking out. The snow is beautiful and the birds are many…and I’m staying warm and toasty inside.
- 1½ C flour
- ¼ C sugar
- ½ Tbsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ C Neufchâtel cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- the zest of one lemon
- 2 Tbsp poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and baking powder until well combined. Add in cold, cubed butter and pulse until it resembles small peas.
- Add in lightly beaten egg, Neufchâtel cheese, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pulse just until wet and dry ingredients come together.
- Roll out dough onto floured surface. Make a round about ¾ inch thick. Cut into 6 triangles. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 13-15 minutes.